Organic fruits and vegetables
In addition to conventional fruit and vegetables , DARWIN has been offering organics from France or other countries for many years including vacuum packed produce
DARWIN has been offering organics from France or other countries for many years including a vaccum packed organic products.
Please check out our product catalogue to discover the product availability
Subscribe to our Newsletter.
Choose between French, English or German version.
THE GENERAL PRINCIPLES OF ORGANIC PRODUCTION
Organic production is a system that integrates “cultural, biological and mechanical practices that promote ecological balance and conserve biodiversity.
- Organic farmers chooses not to use pesticides, fertilizers, genetically modified organisms, antibiotics and growth hormones.
- Organic farming promotes the use of crop rotations and cover crops, and encourages balanced host/predator relationships. Organic residues and nutrients produced on the farm are recycled back to the soil.
- Locally adapted seeds and breeds are preferred for their greater resistance toOrganic diseases and resilience to climatic stress;
- Organic farming protects the environment, minimize soil degradation and erosion, decrease pollution, optimize biological productivity and promote a sound state of health
- Organic farming maintains long-term soil fertility by optimizing conditions for biological activity within the soil.
- Organic farming maintains biological diversity within the system
- Organic farmers prevent insect problems by providing habitat for beneficial insects that control populations of harmful insects.
The producers are experts on their varieties and the environmental aspect of the surrounding of their fields and orchards.
In addition to the respect for the environment and animal welfare, Organic products provide for closer relationships between producer and customer.
Moreover, the farmer’s management toolkit combines three types of techniques: cultural (e.g. planting disease-resistant varieties); biological (e.g. pheromone traps); and mechanical (e.g. appropriate tillage).Organic farmers combine these practices to minimize the impact to the environment.
VARIETIES OF METHODS AND PRACTICES
The main differences between organic and conventional fruit and vegetables:
Why does organic food look different?
Organic fruits and vegetables look quite different to conventional foods.
They may have odd shapes, smaller sizes or varying colours. This is because they are not treated with any synthetic chemicals regulating their growth. But they are as nutritious as conventional produce.
Why is organic food more expensive than conventional food?
Certified organic products are generally more expensive than conventional fruits and vegetables for several reasons.
Production costs for organic foods are higher because of greater labour inputs ( farmers have to hire more workers for tasks like hand weeding). Crop rotation and the use of cover crops reduce the frequency of profitable crops
Therefore, organic food grows more slowly and without all of the chemical preservatives, organic foods face a shorter storage time and shelf life.
Organic seeds and fertilizers are generally more expensive than non-organic.
Organic crops are handled and shipped in smaller quantities which results in higher costs i.e. The distribution costs are higher in comparison to the small volumes.
CERTIFIED ECOCERT SINCE 2005
Our company can provide you with organics from a number of growing areas. However the main products come from France.
Our producers have all been given the organic certification by an accredited independent body.
Moreover, DARWIN has been certified since 2005 by the independent body ECOCERT.
Quality and Security at DARWIN’S
The logo and the labelling rules are an important part of the organic regulations. The main objective of the European logo is to make organic products easier to identify by the consumers. This enhances fair competition in the market, and of course consumer protection.
-Organic products have strict labelling requirement :- the label of Biologique or bio
- the control body’s code number
Consumers are informed about the place where organic fruits and vegetables have been farmed.
For French products
In France, organic certification was introduced in 1985. French buyers and retailers often ask producers to label their products with the French logo well known by French consumers.
With over 10 years experience in the organic market, Nolwenn at DARWIN is your partner for organic fruits and vegetables.
Offering customers a fully personalised service, she has longstanding relationships with experienced growers in France and in Europe.
She speaks English and German and can provide you with our organic range all year round.
Feel free to contact her by phone or e-mail.: Nolwenn@darwin.fr or +18.104.22.168.15.38